Friday, April 24, 2009

The Super Star & A Human Being

Image Courtesy : Veersh - Chitraloka.com
I am quite emotional about his performances, about his nature. I had opportunities to sit with him and have lunch 3 times !!! That's something, which I treasure in my life

It was around 1992 - The dubbing for the film Jeevana Chaitra was on at Chamundeshwari Studios on Cunningham Road. I was doing my Diploma in Computer Application and I happen to have Appu (people call him Puneeth Rajkumar) as my classmate and also project partner in the course. He took me to the studio. Entered the studio and saw "him" there !!! I almost felt unconcious. He was the person whom I was seeing on screen since my child hood and we used to prepare stars outside the theatre to get free tickets for the first day first show of his films. We used to sleep on the floor in front of the ticket counters as, usually the tickets for his films were sold at 3 AM in the morning. The moment he comes on screen, we used just run up to the screen and touch his image and feel as if we have touched the GOD. We used to imitate his dressing and always used to think ourselves as "him". So childish.. But that's the level of hysteria at which we were.

With all these history, how do you expect me to react? I just fell at his feet. I can never forget his reaction. "you people are educated. You should not touch my feet as I am not educated" (he was just 3rd standard passout. Again I get this question in my mind. What is the meaning of being "educated"??).

That was Rajkumar, the super star and the great human being. After that episode, I was there at Chamundeshwari Studios for 3 days watching himdoing the dubbing for the "Jeevana Chaitra".

All the days, I was there with him sharing the lunch table. He was very fond of Appu's friends and invited us home. We went to his home and it was same warmth. Me, being a chatter box among my friends circle when it comes to the topic about him, was in a state of shock and speechless at the kind of warmth I was getting at his home. I did not know what to talk to him. I wanted to tell him so many things.. but did not know how to tell him. I wanted to sing so many of his songs which I used to sing on various occassions, but I forgot everything. It was as if I was on the clouds.

He always insisted that we fellows should lead a healthy life, both mentally and physically. He always complained that we don't eat properly and we waste a lot of food. It was treat watching him eat. He never used to waste even a grain of rice on his plate. He had high respect for the food and did not like anyone wasting the food.

There could be many actors in this industry, but none can even dream to come closer to him. It's not possible. Today is his birthday, it's just another nostalgic moment for me remembering that great super star and a human being.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! its great to know that you met Rajkumar! Lucky you! I remember seeing him from a very far distance when he had been to Sanjay Gandhi hospital for a shooting.
    He is one of the best actor in Kannada industry. Actually the only one. I still enjoy watching his movies, especially the mythology movies. And his dance in songs "Mary Mary" and "Agumbe ya". Wah!! Fantastic!
    It's really good to read a blog on Rajkumar. People hardly think of writing about him in their blogs. Good Going!! (As usual) .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Sowmya. Yes. I was one of those lucky fellows who had an opportunity to meet up with him. What a hummble man he was. I think now a days fellows in the industry should learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed in a way that you were in touch with so many people who had their names written in history forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats Right Ravi. The only thing I compromised for all these were my studies !!! :) Academically, I was just a pass class fellow as I was more into these things !!! :)

    ReplyDelete