Friday, April 17, 2009

My Favorites

Everyone in their life have something or the other as their favorites. I have heard people using the term "this is my favorite...." . I am not sure what they mean. Do they mean that they like only those which they consider "favorite" and nothing else?

I always feel that the moment we decide that something is "my favorite", I think the search ends and our creativity ends...

I always am a person who believe that there should not be any specific things in life which can be termed as "my favorites". By doing that we are limiting ourselves to one particular aspect of life and miss out all the fun on the otherside of life. Let us take music as an example. I have heard people saying that a particular song has been their favorite. Singers are often asked "which is your favorite song?". Arre..... it's quite difficult for Latha Mangeshkar to choose the favorite songs from what she has sung. Quite a lot of them have asked me, who is your favorite singer, music director, lyricist? How do I answer that question? I always ended up in confusion when such questions were asked. For me every music director, every singer, every lyricist have their own speciality.

Me thinks... the moment we decide something as our favorite, we tend to set it as a bench mark and start seeing everything through this "colored glass" called "favorite". If "my favorite" is Kishore Kumar, I tend to listen to every song of Rafi, Mukesh, Manna De, Talat Mahmood, Abhijit, Sonu Nigam, everyone with this "hearability" of "my favorite, which is not correct.

Of course, "my favorite" cannot be "your favorite". Then the fun is lost. Both of us are in the same zone and we are like the frogs in the well which do not know anything outside its boundary. We put a fencing to our thinking world by deciding on "my favorites".

It's time to think on this line..... Weekend is ahead. Is the "weekend your favorite time?"

2 comments: