Thursday, March 26, 2009

Asaawari & Tilak Kaamod

Very powerful raagas.... I realized it after listening to Tara Kini and Aditi Upadhya singing the alaaps of Asaawari & Tilak Kaamod respectively in the album "Raag Katha" from Sunaad....

man, what a singing .... We fellows can't even dream of singing like them. Such fantastic raagas. Particularly, I felt Aditi singing any Raaga is out of this world. I am happy and proud of the fact that I was her Shaagird for few months by being a member of Sunaad.

Asaaawari.... when you want to be alone in the midst of this stupid world, just listen to Asaawari. You will feel that there is no one in this big bad world. It's just you and asaawari. Tara, thanks a ton for rendering such fantastic alaap. You gave me a new insight into this raaga.

Tilak Kaamod.... another raaga with all total shuddh notes. Extremely brilliant and lights up your mood and transports you into another world and with Aditi Upadhya singing them, it's... not sure how to explain it. You should listen to her singing. You will be blown off.... I can bet.

Thanks Aditi for making me getting glued to the raagas and explaining how drupad is (I still remember you explaining dhrupad in a graphic format) In fact, after listening to Aditi, my perspective towards Hindustani classical music changed totally. Also thanks to Aditi, she allowed me to stay at her parents home at Mumbai for a day during a performance at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan in Mumbai. I got a lifetime opportunity to meet up with Pt. Dinkar Kaikini, one of the doyens of Hindustani classical music. This is one moment which I will never be able to forget and will always keep it as a treasure in my life. I spent around 5 hours with Panditji talking about music and he signed on his CDs for me.

Tara.... Another Guru in my life who created crave for Hindustani classical music. Excellent singer, excellent organizer, task master and extremely warm human being. Tara also works in theatre. Proud of coming in touch with Tara and of course, Sunaad.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I really didn't know that you are a singer also.. And you are such a music freak!
    It's really nice that i know someone in my office who is a actor and a singer too....

    Would love to listen to you !! :-)
    BTW when is World Theatre festival??

    ReplyDelete