Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gangubai Hangal... A Memory

It was 1990. I was jobless. I was seriously into theatre and learning Hindusthani classical music under Pt. Seshadri Gawai. I went to Hubli and Dharwad where my relatives stayed. Panditji had asked me to meet up with three of his friends and our GODs.... Pt. Basavaraj Rajguru, Vidushi Gangubai Hangal and Pt. Mallikarjuna Mansur..... Even though I could not meet Pt. Basavaraj Rajguru, I met Pt. Mansur and Vidushi Gangubai. Pt. Mansur was staying in Dharwad near All India Radio and Gangubai was staying in Deshpande Nagar in Hubli.

Those were the golden moments, when I touched their feet and my forehead was firmly on their feet and I could not control my tears thinking of my forutne.... I can bet that everyone won't get those kind of opportunities.

My mother's uncle who was a freedom fighter, teacher and also a freelance journalist, Swamirao Thirumalarao Deshpande, took me to Gangubai's house, Ganga Lahari. He knew her since her time in Kundagol.

Such a down to earth person in spite of reaching those hieghts, I could not believe. Initially I was speechless and I could only feel the softness of her feet. As I kept talking to her, I started feeling the softness of her heart.... she was very happy that I came to meet her and asked me to convey Pt. Seshadri Gawai's wishes..... She told me "sheshannanige nanna preethi vishwasa thilisu (convey my love and affection to Sheshanna).... She asked Krishna Hangal, her daughter to give us some chivuda (in Dharwad and Hubli, it is Chooda (avalakki) (not sure what they call in English) and Besan laddu and nice chaha (Tea).... I can never forget that hospitality... it was very nice of her to treat me who was a novice just like her kid.
Sad that she is no more.... her memory will always be there with me for ages to come.....

2 comments:

  1. Ramesh...
    Definitely a big loss!

    -koshy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's true Sunil.....

    You can offer a tribute to the great soul in this web space... do check in.....

    http://gangubaihangal.posterous.com/offer-a-tribute-0

    ReplyDelete