Monday, May 11, 2009

Remembering People who influenced me in my life - KT Suresh

Few blogs from now on, you will see me writing about people who made a tremendous influence on my life and changed my life forever.

It was in January 1995 / 1996, I was introduced to Equations by Manjunath, an IES officer with Central Institute of Coastal Engineering for Fisheries where I was working as Admin Assitant to the Technical Consultants. Manju felt that I am sensitive enough to be part Equations, an NGO who were into research and documentation for tourism.

Well, I was venturing out into a new world and was not sure what my goal was. I had to meet Suresh, who was popular as KT among his friend's circle. This was supposed to be an interview. I finally met him. He had a broken leg and was plastered and I could see the art works all over the plaster of paris and maximum was from Dhanaraj, one of the artiste who was working with Equations. Suresh sat in the balcony of Equations office in Indiranagar behind Indiranagar Club sorrounded by plants and spoke to me. I blabbered all sorts of things which came to my mind. About theatre, my life thus far, etc. etc. Manju had told me that I should speak something about environment and so I did.

Suresh said... hmmmmm... ok ondu kelsa maadi.. send me a small write-up in Kannada on environment protection by fax. Let us see. During the discussion I came to know that one of their resources Yamuna left the job of coordinator for Karnataka area and they were looking for someone who is politically, culturally and also mentally sensitive person to work with them. Manju felt I can deliver what they were looking at. I wrote something about environment protection including something from Krishna's Bhagavadgita which goes like "Patram Pushpam Phalam Thoyam....." and very little I did know that I was sending it to the person who was a total Aethist !!!

After few days later, I got a call from Suresh, mentioning that I had been selected. I was thrilled that I am into something new where none my family members have ventured (that's the case till today !!!)

I went along with Bhargavi to collect my "offer letter" which mentioned I also will be part of internal policy related decisions .

On March 1st, First day, I go to Equations and I could not see Suresh or any other people whom I expected. Only Mr. Sundaram, who was managing Admin and Finance was there and when I asked about Suresh, he was hiding something from me. It was quite fishy.

A day later, Suresh met me and gave a shock of my life. Manju, who introduced me to Equations, committed Suicide because of some personal problems !!!! I could not control my tears...

From there on, Equations totally gave a new perspective in my life. I started seeing so many things which I had never seen in my own world. Suresh introduced me to all the colleagues there. Hari Babu (about whom I need write another piece), Shirley, Dhanaraj, Lakshman and Mr. Sundaram. It was a different world altogether where there were no gender discriminations, no hangups, no egos, no artificial lives, nothing... all so natural, so true and so clear. That was my impression about equations and I am happy that even today, it remains so.

I must tell about Suresh. One of the most interesting persons I have ever met in my life. I am not sure whether I am going to meet anyone who can be like him. Those days, a smoking Chimney with beard, Suresh never sounded like a boss to me. I was so much used to the boss-subordinate culture and it was a culture shock for me. I was surprised that can bosses be like this also??? He used to suddenly infuse kannada words during the discussions with me and whenever he was angry, I could see his nostrils exapand and his ears go tomato red.. always I used to read the article what I wrote in Kannada in front of him and he used to keep staring at me while I was reading the article.

Suresh changed me forever. He spoke to me about so many things in life which I never knew, they existed.

A great friend and a even more great human being, Suresh put me on to so many of his friends and few of them, I can never forget. Rose, Vish, Sreeni, Joy, Ganesh, Mirza Yawar Baig, et.al. More than anything he put me in the middle of this great gang through the mehfils which used to happen in Rose's house.

Suresh sensitized me about environment, forests, coasts (of course, Hari had a great influence on me aboout coasts as well), Adivasis, how to establish network, how to maintain it, what to write, what not to write, what to speak, what not to speak. Overall, Suresh put me into the world of NGOs of which I never knew anything. During our struggle against Taj hotels in Nagarahole, It was Suresh's support and guidance to me along with Susan Mathews (again this is another person about whom I will write), which helped us succeed.

Today, if I am anything good, a huge portion of the credit should go to Suresh. Because of him, I stopped using plastic covers, I never drank pepsi or coke, I started getting sensitive about people cutting trees, I started becoming eco-concious, I even tried making my home an eco-friendly one, and I can say that Suresh is the reason for it.

Today, Suresh sitting in Mumbai still inspires me and I am indebted to him and will always be. Thanks Suresh for making me a human being from being a total insensitive fellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment