Monday, May 4, 2009

May Day & Other Murmurs....

A Sort of hybernation for 4 long days.... Too much of eating, too much of reading and too much of laziness....

Over the last 4 days, what did I do? Surprisingly nothing solid. The whole day of 30th April I was in Mysore enjoying the food at cousin's place because of his son's upanayana.

On 1st May, even though it was a labor day, I remained as if there is nothing to bother me, which is a strange thing about me. I always used to get into different websites to take an update on how meaningful the labor day was across the world and how is the perspective of people towards being a "Labor". Interestingly, everyone thinks that this must have originated in one of the communist countries. But the fact is that the may day was originated in Australia in 1856 and this was a struggle for 8 hours day (I don't think it holds any meaning for us as we never stick to 8 hours a day !!!). This was the struggle of Peasants, artisans and others. Incidentally, police opened fire and killed four strikers at the Haymarket Square in USA in 1886. During the "supposed" to be a peace rally, someone threw a bomb into the police crowd, which created havoc. There was a trial on the "culprits" and seven people were hung publicly. This public handing happened on 1st May and hence from that day onwards, among the labor world, it was decided to observe this day as International Labor's Day aiming at improving the life of peasants, artisans and workers in unorganized sectors (not bad... I still remember all these things since I was actively involved in some of the labor movements in Bangalore during 1995 - 1998) . But is this improvement happening?? Sad state of affairs. We sit in the ivory towers and never realize those people because of whom we are in the ivory towers with AC running and office remaining clean. We don't even care for them. We don't even smile at them, don't even talk to them. What sort of human beings we are? First of all, are we?

02 & 03 May 09 - Again excellent festival food and reading for my MA exams. Nothing else.

I am getting bogged down by the fact that I am being a total insensitive character who do not care about the pain in the world and I think only me and my family is important. Am I becoming that self-centred?

1 comment:

  1. Ramesh,
    Interesting read :)

    Liked the ending, you calling yourself an insensitive character, thinking only of your family!
    How many people can even boldly think aloud like you?

    cheers...
    koshy

    ReplyDelete