Wednesday, May 13, 2009

People who influened My Life - Nagaraja Murthy

KV Nagaraja Murthy
Sometime during mid 80s, I was wishing to get actively into theatre. I was not sure whom to contact. Someone told me (I seriously do not remember who it was who told me and it's my unpardonable mistake on my part for not remembering the name) to go Ravindra Kalakshethra and talk to someone. That was the first time I went to Kalakshethra in the afternoon. So far, I went in the evening with all those glitz. On the steps of Kalakshethra, Nagaraja Murthy and CG Krishnaswamy (CGK) were sitting. I went and asked them as to whom I can meet if I wanted to be part of any of the plays. CGK and Nagaraja Murthy looked at me and asked me what can you do? Can you act? I told them I can act and I can also sing. Suddenly Nagaraja Murthy sprang up and said.. oh.. haagadre ondu haad haadu kelona (oh... in that case, sing a song, let us hear). I was not used to singing in open areas like that and felt awkward. However, I sang a song. Nagaraja Murthy, suddenly said why did you not meet me earlier? Hew told CGK, Saarr... why don't you take him for the play Kalagnaani Kanaka? CGK said ok, come for the rehearsals. That was my entry.

From there onwards, Nagaraja Murthy has been my mentor, my god father, everything in theatre. He took me into his folds and nurtured me like his own son. 1987-88, 88-89, two years successively I won the inter-collegiate theatre festival awards. This was the festival organized by Nagaraja Murthy. He made me part of the street play "Cancer" and asked me to be the lead singer for this. A good break for me was here. I got a chance to perform at least around 80 shows of this street play in all nooks and corners of karnataka. The next immediate break was Manteswamy Katha Prasanga a play directed by Suresh Anagalli, one of the major productions I worked in my theatre life. Nagaraja Murthy chose me as a Lead Singer for this production.
When times go bad, wrong things happens. For some trivial issue, he shouted at me during one of the shows (which I know was not intentional) and I was too childish and just came of out of the team Prayoga Ranga which gave me a foot hold into theatre. From there onwards, life took a total different unexpected turn and so many things happened. Started focusing on my career and was in touch with theatre, but never worked in that. It was bit painful to remain like that. This went on for almost 10 years till 2004

Since I was unemployed during 1991 - 92, Nagarajamurthy used to give me 100 rupees for every show I perform. He used to drop me home, he used to feed me lunch, dinner. I can never forget his affection towards me. I think I did not remain faithful to him. Today, whatever I have achieved in theatre, all those credit should go to Nagaraja Murthy. He was the one who recognized my "potential". He was the one who introduced me into Shankar Nag's team. He was the one who introduced me to well known theatre personality MS Sathyu and pushed me into his production "Mote Raamana Sathyagraha". He was the one who introduced me to film actor Ashok and Ashok involved me in his theatre productions. He was the one who made me a part of the theatre workshops and asked me to compose music for the play "Napolean maththu Naayi" (Napolean and the Dog). I played a major role in this production as well.

So much to write about Nagaraja Murthy. He still remains my god father, my mentor and I am always indebted to him for making me whatever I am today.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting read, Ramesh!
    Feels nice to know you have worked with lots of big names...
    Wishing you many more wonderful experiences in theatre & music.

    cheers...
    koshy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very good write up
    i always cherish nagarajamurthy's friendship
    he is simple and humble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nagraj Murthy the foul mouthed darling of all those who have worked with him in theatre, has touched and transformed many lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to say that we (GKVK Bhoomika team) from 2003 to 2006 won 4 times over all Championship "Singanalluru Puttaswamaiah rolling shield" for the event of Mime under his organising of inter collegiate theatre competition

    ReplyDelete